Social Networking 101: LinkedIn and Twitter and Facebook, Oh, My!
December 7, 2010 Leave a comment
For the past few days, I have put in HOURS (I’m guessing about 25 hours) putting together a presentation on Social Networking (90 slides!). All this for a free presentation to a Toastmasters group on Thursday night. At about hour 20, I thought, why am I spending so much time on this? I doubt more than 20 people will even be at the presentation.
As I reflected on the “why” I came up with these reasons:
1. Social Networking (and Social Media) are great ways to start and continue “conversation.” I’m all about getting people to communicate.
2. This was an opportunity for me to learn:
–more about Social Networking (I did)
–more about making Power Point Presentations (I really did! I even upgraded to Office 2010 in the middle!)
3. This was an opportunity to give back to an organization, Toastmasters, that has changed my life.
4. I could get a wider audience by posting the presentation to Slideshare–and I did (140 views in the first 16 hours)
5. I might help change someone’s life. If people make it through to the end, they will see a heart-warming example of how a Facebook post made a huge difference in a little girl’s life.
Here’s the presentation: